BAS’s for Uber Drivers 2018-06-08T13:46:30+00:00

Your BAS lodged by an Uber Tax Specialist

Learn More
Book Now


Express BAS

  • Our Most Popular Option, Fast, Easy, Great Value
  • Enter your Income & Expenses Online
  • Your BAS Lodged in 2 Business Days

BAS Consultation

  • Phone or Skype Appointment with a CPA Accountant
  • Your BAS Prepared On The Spot
  • Have All Your Rideshare Tax Questions Answered

Express BAS – How It Works

Get Started

Frequently Asked Questions

If you’re new to GST and BAS’s, check our blog post on the Seven Steps to Sorting your Uber and Rideshare Tax Obligations. It’s a great introduction to all the tax requirements of Uber and rideshare driving.

BAS’s must be lodged quarterly. The quarters are July-September, October-December, January-March and April-June.

If you lodge your own BAS using a paper form, it is due on the 28th day after the end of the quarter. So for example the June BAS is due on the 28th of July. If you lodge electronically via MyGov or the Business Portal, you receive an automatic two week extension beyond these dates. Which is usually the 11th of the month after. The rules are different for the December BAS, this is due on the 28th of February regardless of how you lodge.  

If you lodge through DriveTax or another registered tax agent, you have longer to lodge. BAS’s are due on the 25th of the second month after the end of the quarter. So for example the June quarter BAS is due on the 25th of August. Again, the rules are different for the December BAS, this is due on the 28th of February. 

Yep, you bet. You’ll receive your BAS either as a paper form by post, or electronically online. You’ll need to fill in your gross fares, and the GST payable on them, and then enter your expenses in order to claim back the GST you’ve paid. You can find more guidance on the ATO website here. Paper forms are lodged by mailing back to the ATO, while BAS’s prepared online are electronically submitted.

If  you have two or three BAS’s to lodge, you can submit these via our Express BAS service. You’ll need to fill in the Express BAS form once for each BAS. If you have four or more BAS’s to lodge please contact us via email. 

Once you’re registered for GST you must lodge a BAS every quarter or face fines and penalties. This is true even if you have only driven a little, or not at all.

If you haven’t driven at all during the quarter, you can advise the ATO of a Nil BAS using their automated phone service by calling 13 72 26. This service is available 24/7. Make sure you have your ABN handy. You’ll also need the Document ID of the BAS’s you’re lodging, which you can find in MyGov.   

If you don’t plan to drive in the future you may like to consider de-registering for GST so that you don’t need to lodge any more BAS’s.

If you’ve stopped driving and don’t plan to continue in the future you should consider de-registering for GST. This will mean you no longer have to lodge BAS’s, and you won’t run the risk of fines if you forget one. You can call the ATO on 13 28 66 to do this.
When we send you your completed BAS, we’ll also send your ATO payment slip. This will list your payment options, including BPAY and credit card details. Note that credit card payments attract fees and charges. You can read more about the ATO’s payment options here.
No, you don’t need to send your receipts to us, as long as you have them on hand in case the ATO requests them. You must have a formal Tax Invoice for any expenses over $82.50. For expenses under this amount you must have some kind of written evidence, which can be a tax invoice, cash register docket or receipt.

For expenses under $82.50 you don’t need a tax invoice, just your bank statements are fine. Over this figure you must have a tax invoice in order to claim the GST back. Note you don’t have to send us your receipts, you just need to keep them on file incase the ATO requests them.

For GST purposes, if you haven’t done a logbook the ATO allows two other methods to estimate the percentage of car expenses you can claim. Option one is to use a percentage set by the ATO depending on how many business kms your car will do for the financial year. Option two allows you to make a reasonable estimate of your Uber percentage based on records such as odometer readings or service records. When using DriveTax Express BAS or during your BAS consultation we’ll give you more detail and help you work out your percentage.

Note that there are different rules for your end of year income tax. If you haven’t kept a formal logbook, you’ll be limited to a maximum claim of 5,000kms at 66 cents per km, giving a deduction of $3,300. For infrequent drivers this may be plenty, but if you drive greater hours for Uber a logbook may be well worth the trouble.

No problem, we can get you registered for GST for free, and we can backdate your registration if required. Checkout our FREE Startup Pack for New Drivers, including free ABN and GST registration.

Upcoming BAS Due Dates 



Self-Lodgment   Paper Form

Self-Lodgment   Electronic

Lodged with Tax Agent

April-June 201830 July 201813 August 201827 August 2018
July-September 201829 October 201812 November 201826 November 2018
October-December 201828 February 201928 February 201928 February 2019
January-March 201929 April 201913 May 201927 May 2019
April-June 201929 July 201912 August 201926 August 2019

About Us

At DriveTax we specialise in tax for Uber drivers and rideshare drivers. The GST changes for the sharing economy announced by the ATO have been confusing, and there’s not alot of information and support available. So we’re on a mission to provide no-fuss compliance and expert support to drivers across Australia.

We’re a CPA Practice and a Registered Tax Agent, led by Director Jess Murray CPA. Jess has extensive experience in small business tax, and is also a regular Uber rider.

For all your Uber and rideshare tax requirements, from tax returns and BAS’s to ABN’s and GST, we can help.

Jess Murray CPA

Jess Murray CPA

Registered Tax Agent & Uber specialist